US History Test 2 Study Guide
Binding the Nation by Rail
- Name the two companies the US Government contracted to build it.
- Why did Americans dream of linking the Atlantic and Pacific Ocean by railroad?
- Many of the immigrants who helped build the railroad came from what Country?
- Where did the two companies meet to drive the golden spike that completed the railroad?
Interstate Commerce Commission
- True or False. The ICC was the first regulatory agency.
- Why did Congress have to create the ICC?
The Ways of the Cowboy
- In 1867, Joseph McCoy tracked a 1500 mile path from Texas to Abilene, Kansas knows as the _______________?
- True or false. The vaqueros (Mexican cowboys) taught Texans how to cattle ranch.
- What was one of the greatest fears on the long drive that could result in lost or dead cattle?
- Joseph Glidden invented ___________ which ended the open range.
Life on the Farm
- List the three money problems of Western Farmers.
- List the four natural problems.
- True or false. Farmers had great political power.
- What two catalogs could western farmers order products from?
The Growth of Populism
- What was the Grange? Who led them?
- True or false. Farmers wanted to create inflation.
- Who benefited from the Gold Standard? Who would benefit from Free Silver?
- What were some political reforms demanded by the Populist Party?
- Which Populist Party candidate made an impressive showing in the election of 1892?
Election of 1896
- What was the worst financial crisis to date leading up to the election of 1896?
- Who was the Democratic and Populist candidate for President in 1896? Who was the Republican candidate?
- What were WJB’s two nicknames?
- Describe the difference in the two candidates campaign styles.
- Who was the wealthy Cleveland Industrialist who backed McKinley?
- Which candidate gave the “cross of gold” speech?
Essay: In your opinion, was the Populist Movement a success? Defend your position with examples of reform efforts, political gains/losses, etc.. ( 10-12 sentences, half a page)